Here are a few things to consider when looking for your Bug Out location:
Distance – If you’re purchasing a piece of property to serve as a bug out location, then you really need to consider several factors to ensure that you are finding the best location for you and your loved one.
First thing to consider is how far the property is from your current home. Unless you have a good refueling plan, the property should only be one single tank of gas away. (i.e. on average 327 miles per tank on average vehicle)
If you’re looking for a full-time survival retreat, distance isn’t really a problem. In fact, I would think the farther you can get away from the major cities, the better off you’ll be during a major collapse or SHTF situation.
- How far is the land from your current location, and are you able to safely make it there during a crisis?
- How far is the parcel from highly populated areas?
Water Sources –Secondly, water resources are vital to anyone’s survival. A good reliable water source is one of the most important considerations when choosing a bug out retreat. From fresh water springs, local reservoirs, rivers and underground well water any and all can provide a clean and renewable water source.
- What water sources are on the land?
- Are they renewable and will they be there year round?
- Is the property graded in a way that allows for a pond or cistern to catch rain water?
- Are rain barrels an option with the geographic weather patterns?
Concealment – The ability to conceal your site may become necessary during a SHTF Bug Out situation. Having a place that provides adequate resources to conceal your living quarters might be another factor in choosing your location.
- How easy would it be for someone to wander on to your land during a bug out situation? Can they reach your location by car? By foot? By ATV?
- Do the natural features of the land help conceal and shelter you, or are they an obstacle to using the land? (i.e. rocky terrain, gravel roads etc.)
- Can you easily secure and defend the land? (i.e. high point of view, sits atop of hill or mountain top etc.)
Self-sufficiency – Picking a location where you can sustain your lifestyle is key. Considerations to ponder – is there enough sunlight to support a solar support system? Do you have easy access to firewood for heat? Natural Resources are an important factor in choosing your property is the area’s natural resources.
- How easy is it to grow food on your land?
- Does the area support a decent size population of wild animals for hunting?
- Can you easily raise livestock on the land?
Population Density – During a crisis, areas with the highest population densities will experience the most crime, the most social unrest, the highest likelihood for epidemics, and the highest death tolls due to lack of resources and sanitation. When choosing a bug out location or survival retreat we suggest staying as far away from high density population areas as possible.
Natural Threats – From tornadoes and hurricanes to earthquakes and droughts, natural weather patterns and environmental threats need to be thoroughly researched before deciding on a property. Make sure you know exactly what threats you will be facing and how the local climate will affect your ability to grow food, hunt and obtain resources throughout the year.
- Look at the areas historical data to better get an idea what the location might look like in the future.
- Take into account things like droughts, flash floods, tornadoes and earthquakes.
We hope that you found this useful in finding the best BUG OUT location for you and your loved ones.
We at BlackBeard Properties want to assist you in finding the best property for you and your family. We know and understand just how important your trust is, that is why we offer a 90 DAY MONEY BACK GUARANTEE on all purchases with our team.
So when you are ready to take that first step into land ownership starts with our Pirate Team, BlackBeard Properties.
BlackBeard Properties Captain
Click HERE to Get Signed Up To Receive Your Elite Membership – Members Receive Discounted Land Listings / Land Auction Invites